Pan roasted duck

Monday, October 14, 2013



I'm learning to roast duck, and this is how I'm doing it:
- Score the skin of the duck breast in diamonds
- Season with salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp 5-spice and a pinch of thyme
- Place skin side down in a cold pan and turn up the heat to medium-high for 6-8 minutes (until golden brown)
- Turn over the duck breast and seal the other side for 30 seconds
- Put it in the oven (skin side up) at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 (rare), 15 (medium) or 20 (well done) minutes

While it's in the oven and resting afterwards, I usually prepare a bit of mushrooms, shallots, garlic and spinach, by frying them all in the remaining duck fat. I leave the spinach towards the end, which I fry in the duck fat from the oven dish.

My resources:
Gressingham duck
Klikk.no
Cookthink
Jamie Oliver's Best Bits

No comments: